enjoying the sun
May 29, 2016 - single portrait
the image of Amrit Samra a.k.a. Honey is part of my large format christmas project just asking people if they would like their pictures taken on a 9×12 sheet of film. Surprisingly, all people I asked agreed right away and I was able to get 5 of 6 frames I had prepared. when I saw Amrit standing there enjoying the sun, I had to get his picture. of course I was also curious if he just visited town or if he lived in Germany. Amrit agreed right away to have his picture and I ask him to take the same position in the sun with his headphones on as I found him. while I set up the camera, we talked a bit and I found out that he has lived in Munich for a while already and that he worked for an Indian restaurant.
Amrit showed us his Kara which is a steel or iron bracelet worn by all initiated Sikhs. it is one of five external articles of faith that identifies a Sikh. the Kara was instituted by the tenth Sikh guru Gobind Singh in 1699. He also wrote:
“He does not recognize anyone else except me, not even the bestowal of charities, performance of merciful acts, austerities and restraint on pilgrim-stations; the perfect light of the Lord illuminates his heart, then consider him as the immaculate Khalsa.”
the Kara shaped like a circle has no beginning and no end like the eternity of God. the bracelet is also a symbol of Sikh brotherhood recognized among punjabis around the globe.
- A pirate in Munich - August 5, 2018
- Joyce, the chef … - September 4, 2016
- enjoying the sun - May 29, 2016
- Luke knows how to brew a good beer - February 28, 2016
- project christmas day - December 30, 2015
- a haircut for a headache - December 23, 2015
- surrounded by blue - October 9, 2015
- the old fashioned way … - July 28, 2015
- Graduation Day - July 4, 2015